Best Outdoor Places For Your Cookout
Attention outdoor adventurers, meat lovers and fire enthusiasts: May is national BBQ month. Yeah, we know We’re freaking excited too, but if you lack a yard or patio and want to avoid engulfing your living room in flames, you’ll need an outdoor locale.
These Los Angeles spots offer cool views and hot grills. Check them out after the jump!
- Topanga Canyon State Park - Topanga’s picnic area is close to the trail heads and offers plenty of grassy space to spread out your blanket and toss a Frisbee while you cook. A hike to the park’s Eagle Rock overlook after eating will aid digestion and provide a view of the ocean, city and Santa Monica Mountains.
- Dockweiler Beach - This three mile beach in Playa del Rey turns into a rowdy, crowded all day beach party on the weekends, so make sure to bring enough food for the friends you’re going to make. Dockweiler’s fire rings go fast, so reserve yours early.
- Griffith Park - Griffith offers five picnic areas in its roughly 4,200 acres. Grill at Griffith’s original zoo location to remind yourself where your food came from before checking out the park’s extensive hiking trails, merry go round, golf courses, or the Griffith Observatory.
- Elysian Park - Where there’s smoke there’s food at the grills in this heart of the east side park.
- El Matador State Park - This north Malibu beach offers dramatic ocean views from the cliff, which, conveniently, is also where the picnic area is located. Stop by Trancas’ market on your way to pick up any last minute necessities, and be conscience of alcohol consumption here, as the cops are generous with drinking citations. We may or may not speak from personal experience.
- Random backyard/ patio – You definitely have a friend, casual acquaintance or former one night stand that has one, so pick up the supplies and invite yourself over. Who can say no to an impromptu grill party? No one. That’s who.