Here is what we have all discovered about today:
- First off, while not specific to the year, please remember that today is Veterans Day and Armistice Day. Also, did you know that WWI ended on the 11 hour of the 11 day of the 11 month of 1918? Boom, your brain just exploded.
- It’s both Metal Day and Nigel Tufnel Day (since it goes to eleven). We’d show you the video, but why don’t you go buy the DVD instead? WHAT YOU HAVEN’T SEEN “THIS IS SPINAL TAP?” HOW ARE WE FRIENDS?
- It’s the last Binary Day of your lifetime, probably.
- Pocky Day? What the hell is pocky?
- Corduroy Appreciation Day is a celebration we don’t mind getting behind.
- Whatever you do, don’t buy a ticket, board a plane, and show up at the Great Pyramid of Giza. The numerologist ceremony has been canceled. Looks like you’re gonna have to find a different excuse to leave for the weekend.
- Don’t panic – We are now exactly 1 year 1 month and 11 days from the end of the Aztec Calendar. Thanks a lot, history.
- Feeling lucky? So is everybody else. Don’t be a jerk and buy a 1-1-1-1 ticket in today’s Lottery drawing.
- Mental Floss is publishing a new list of 11 things every hour.
- In China, November 11th is Singles Day, a celebration for people living the single life. Hey, we should totally move to China!
- Birthdays: novelist Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1821), actor Robert Ryan (1909), actor Stanley Tucci (1960), actress Demi Moore (1962), actress Calista Flockhart (1964), Leonardo DiCaprio (1974) and reality TV star Chanelle Hayes (1987).
- The General Synod of the Church of England voted to allow women to become priests on November 11th in 1992. Way to go, ladies!
- Hope you don’t suffer from aibohphobia, the fear of palindromes. Hey, isn’t aibohphobia a palindrome?
Did we miss something? Tell us how you’re celebrating 11/11/11 in the comments below. We’ll add the best ones to our list.