Man Catches Fire After Applying Sunscreen

View Comments
KOEN SUYK / AFP / Getty Images

KOEN SUYK / AFP / Getty Images

Sunscreen is probably the most responsible and innocuous product you can use, right? Not so much for Brett Sigworth of Massachusetts. In his case, what happened is the absolute opposite of what sunscreen is supposed do. He got burned. Pretty bad, actually. The poor guy sprayed on some sunblock, walked over to his outdoor grill and caught fire!

“I sprayed on the spray-on sunscreen, and then rubbed it on for a few seconds. I walked over to my grill, took one of the holders to move some of the charcoal briquettes around and all of a sudden it just went up my arm,” Brett Sigworth of Stow, Massachusetts, told CBS Boston.

“I went into complete panic mode and screamed,” he said. “I’ve never experienced pain like that in my life.” Check out the video below for the full news report:

“We were concerned to hear about Brett’s experience,” the company said in a statement. “At Banana Boat, we take these matters very seriously and will begin a prompt investigation as we continue to strive to deliver products of the highest quality to our consumers.”

Maybe all those urban legend-y stories about spontaneous combustion were actually just pale people who sprayed on tons of Banana Boat and decided to grill. Be careful this summer. Do wear sunscreen to prevent burning, but stay away from open flame. Or hot sun. You know what? Just stay inside. Right where you are. On the internet. Who are you kidding, we both know that’s how you were going to spend your summer anyway.

View Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 393 other followers