Tomorrow is a big day for halflings, humans, orcs, elves, and every other creature from middle Earth. Get ready for another three hour epic from director Peter Jackson as he gives us The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, the prequel to his highly successful series, The Lord of the Rings.
Fantasy geeks everywhere are simultaneously, well, doing whatever it is fantasy geeks do when a movie of this magnitude comes out. We don’t want to speculate.
And let’s face it, the rest of the world is pretty stoked too, even if they aren’t capable of sitting through a special edition, 12 hour uncut Lord of the Rings fest. And what’s there not to be excited about?
Plenty, actually. Here’s a breakdown of what we are and most definitely are not looking forward to.
- In the world of fantasy movie epics, Peter Jackson has set the bar with The Lord of the Rings. He now has our full attention with this prequel.
- J.R.R. Tolkien wrote some pretty darn good books that translate well into film. We’re dying to see how The Hobbit works as a film adaptation
- Ian McKellen is back is Gandalf.
- Orlando Bloom is not.
- The killer special effects. It’s been nearly 10 years since the release of The Return of The King, and those special effects were absolutely fantastic. How awesome will the look now?
- Seeing what sort of parody South Park comes up with this time
- Gollum is back. Not only is he back, he is a main character. Let’s just hope he doesn’t say “my precious” this time.
- Cate Blanchett is also back, but Liv Tyler is not. Seriously? Don’t Elves live forever?
- It’s three hours long. Again. *Cough* Editing *cough*
- Seeing those gross furry little hobbit feet
- The inevitable batch of Lord of the Rings themed weddings, birthdays, cubicles, etc.
- Carlos Delgado, CBS Radio