Top 20 Things That Happened In 1986
The popular song came out in 1986, which seems like a totally meaningless whatever year in the ’80s, but it was actually huge as far as pop culture and world news goes.
Do you remember what you were doing in 1986? Here’s twenty facts to stir your memory.
- Deemed the International Year of Peace by the United Nations.
- So we celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day for the first time.
- Except, whoops, some people in the Reagan administration secretly sold arms to Iran and the Iran-Contra affair was born.
- The Challenger Space Shuttle disaster occurred. The shuttle broke into pieces after being only 73 seconds into its flight, leading to the deaths of seven crew members.
- Mike Tyson wins his first ever boxing title. He is the youngest heavyweight champion of the time.
- The Oprah Winfrey Show starts its reign of terror on housewives everywhere. But ALF and Pee-Wee’s Playhouse also premieres so it all evens out.
- Out of Africa wins Best Picture at the 58th Annual Academy Awards.
- AJ Gordon was a gleam in his father’s eye.
- Real people are so passe; Pixar Animation Studios is opened.
- Halley’s Comet makes an appearance creating chaos in elementary school science classrooms.
- In April, the worst nuclear power plant accident ever occurs at Chernobyl in the Ukrainian SSR. People are still coming forward with health issues from the accident which killed 31 people.
- The average cost of a new house in the United States was $89, 430. Start weeping into your mortgage payment bills right now. It’s OK. Get it out.
- Smoking on public transportation is banned.
- The first ever musicians are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. They were Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Sam Cooke, Fats Domino, The Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, and Elvis Presley.
- Top Gun was the highest grossing film of the year. In its first weekend, it made over $8 million dollars.
- “Rock Me Amadeus” by Falco was the #1 single of the year and Cosby Show was the top television show.
- The Chicago Bears won the Superbowl against the New England Patriots. Nadia Noir first did the Superbowl Shuffle (video evidence exists).
- The whole Ricard Gere gerbil debacle started.
- Christie Brinkley and Elle Macpherson were the hotties of the moment. :)
- Lindsay Lohan was born. :(
–Nadia Noir, CBS Radio Los Angeles